Would you like to make new friends, meet people from other cultures, help students like you and, why not, practice your English? Accept the challenge and become a Politecnico buddy!
What do we mean by buddy? A buddy is an enrolled student (from at least six months) who collaborates by assisting freshmen coming from abroad. You will be entrusted an international student for six months. At the very beginning, you will be in touch with him/her when he/she is still in his/her country; you will thus introduce yourself and provide him/her with the necessary information. When the international student will arrive in Italy you will both meet one hour per week and you will be available in order to clarify the student’s doubts and help him/her to settle in this new experience.
Moreover, you will be able to get to know each other better thanks to the meetings, games and events that will be organized.
If you are interested, please apply within 1 February 2018 through the Online Services by accessing the option Application forms > Selection procedure.
Starting from the academic year 2015-2016, Politecnico di Milano has implemented a buddy system: this foresees a match between new international students and students who are already enrolled, who will assist new students in the phase prior to their arrival and over a three months’ period after their arrival.
The first three months are the most challenging for someone who comes from a far-away country and needs to adapt not only to a new academic environment but to a culture and traditions often distant from his/her own.
A warm welcome can make the difference!
If you want to give a hand and help a new international student in overcoming the same difficulties you’ve faced in arriving at Politecnico, you can apply to become a buddy, a companion who will be an important reference before and during the first adaption period.
What does a buddy do?
- He/she contacts the students whom he/she is entrusted before and after their arrival
- He/she participates in cultural events and games organized at Politecnico, addressed to buddies and new students
- He/she helps new students become familiar with the campus and its facilities
- He/she facilitates the understanding of the didactic organization: structure of the academic year, lectures, exams
- He/she helps students get to know the city and its opportunities
- He/she is willing to give a hand for any generic issue
- He/she addresses the student to the offices competent for specific issues
- He/she is willing to dedicate at least one hour a week to meet the new students whom he/she will be entrusted
Why become a buddy?
- You will get to know different cultures of the world without moving away from home
- You will make new friends
- You will improve your English language knowledge and be able to practice other foreign languages
- You’ll develop skills and contacts which will turn out to be useful in the job market
Read students’ impressions: Who finds a Buddy finds a treasure
Who can apply?
Students enrolled at Politecnico di Milano from at least 6 months to a Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) or a Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) programme.
The only students who can request a Buddy are the Exchange students and new international students admitted to a Master of Science program for the second semester of the academic year 2017-2018.
Remember! A buddy must be motivated and available, friendly and patient!
How to apply?
Enter the Online Services and fill in your application by accessing the option Application forms > Selection procedures. You just need to fill out the information regarding personal data, known languages and hobbies; no bank information is required, the project is free of charge.
Before sending your application, please read the Buddy Memorandum carefully. Applications close on 1st February 2018.
The project lasts six months.
It is not required a special training, International Students and Exchange Office, together with the Erasmus Student Network, will support you in acquiring the necessary skills to exercise at best your role as a Buddy, will assist you throughout the period in which you will volunteer and will invite you to take part in meetings, games and events in which you will strengthen your relationship with the students whom you will be entrusted. An optional meeting will also be organized in order to give you more information and a vademecum will be sent by e-mail.
How students are matched
Buddy will be matched with new international students solely on the basis of the attendance to the same study programme, known languages and of personal interests, which will be revealed through the registration form.
According to the number of applicants, buddies will be matched with one or more international student.
The project is coordinated by the International Students Office – Exchange Office
Politecnico di Milano